You did it! You finally purchased your first home. When you own your home, let’s face it…things are going to break and, unless you want to spend your money on visits from the local handyman, you’re going to need to fix them yourself. You don’t need an arsenal of tools – these five will cover most of your basic maintenance tasks. Make sure you have them on-hand before you move in!
1. Cordless drill. A cordless drill is a must-have. Use it to install cabinets, drawer pulls, hinges, picture frames, shelves, hooks, and more. Cordless drills operate on a battery so no need to go looking for the elusive plug! Also, cordless drills substantially reduce the labor necessary to complete many household projects.
2. Drain cleaners. Buy some plastic drain cleaners that can reach into the drain to pull out gunk! You can purchase these for a low price at Amazon or any local hardware store. Much cheaper than using chemical clog cleaners like Drano! Also, less risk in damaging your pipes!
3. Wet/Dry Shop-vac. No matter how careful you are, spills and accidents do happen. Some tasks are just too big for paper towels or a standard vacuum.
4. Loppers. Even basic landscaping will require that you remove damaged branches, vines, thick weeds, or other unruly plants in your yard. Having loppers on hand will make this removal a snap!
5. Flashlight. We’re talking more than your iPhone flashlight here. Don’t be caught in the dark – have a heavy duty one on hand for those times you need to crawl through the attic or crawl space!