If you are planning to sell your house this year, there is some prep work involved before you list. Set aside some time to do the work and get ready to make a great impression on potential buyers.
Step 1: Clean and declutter
- Eliminate clutter before cleaning. Purge your house of unwanted and unneeded items. Donate items to charity, hold a yard sale, give to a neighbor, or sell/give them away on Craigslist. NOW is the time to get rid of anything you do not want to take with you.
- Deep clean your house. Clean your house inside & out and make everything sparkle. Pay special attention to the kitchen and bathrooms and don’t forget to clean your windows! A deep clean makes a dramatic improvement to the overall appearance of your home.
- Organize closets, cabinets and drawers. Many potential buyers will open closets & cabinets to check storage space. Clean and organized spaces signal to buyers that you take care of your house.
Step 2: Make small repairs
Take care of small problems before you show your house. Making repairs NOW could mean more money in your pocket later. Fix leaking faucets; replace caulking around tubs, showers and sinks; freshen up or repair grout; repair walls and repaint them; replace damaged window screens and fix broken windows; replace any burned out light bulbs – easy fixes that can be done yourself!
Step 3: Go for curb appeal
If potential homebuyers are not impressed with the outside of your home, they will not bother to come see the inside. WOW buyers from the outside-in to maximize exposure to the largest pool of potential buyers. Easy ways to gain some curb appeal:
- Trim bushes, shrubs, and trees. Make sure vegetation is not touching roof or siding.
- Repair broken downspouts and gutters.
- Apply new mulch, pinestraw, river rock or gravel.
- Pressure wash concrete areas like driveways & walkways. Eliminate stains and clean out any weeds coming up from the cracks.
- Freshen up your doorstep with a new doormat.
- If it’s seasonally appropriate, put out some pots of colorful flowers.
- Consider giving your front door a new coat of paint.
- Make sure your house numbers are easy to see.
With just a moderate amount of effort inside and out, you make your house welcoming to potential buyers and maximize your listing price.