Selling your home? Here are some of the top essentials to ensure that the home inspector can do the job they were hired to do. They may sound simple but make a world of difference for the home inspector to be able to complete a thorough inspection!
- Make sure the water is on. Buyers like to know if the toilet works, that there are no evident leaks, and the inspector may even just get thirsty!
- Make sure the electricity is on.
- Make sure the gas is turned on (this includes propane in propane tanks & oil in the oil tanks).
- Make sure there is clear access to all electrical panels.
- Make sure there is clear access to all crawl spaces, and that they are unlocked as well.
- Make sure there is clear access to the attics.
- Make sure keys & combinations are left available to any locked spaces.
- Seller should leave a phone number where they can be reached in the event of questions or additional information is needed.
- Turn off any computers. There may be circuits that need to be tested that could cause you to lose data.
- Make sure you make arrangements for your pets. You do not want your beloved pet to hinder the inspection in any way.
- Leave your cars in the driveway and not in the garage. If cars are left in the garage, the inspector will not be able to properly inspect the overhead door.
- Be prepared to stay away from home for 3-5 hours. An inspection will take as long as needed, and inspectors appreciate someone not following them around.
- Leave clear access to the furnace and all appliances.
Follow these simple but effective tips, and I’m sure your inspector will thank you!