Although the bathrooms are cleaned more often than any other room in the house, a thorough cleaning, and possible remodel, can bring beauty to the bathroom.
- Using a scrub brush and cloth, clean out the bottom of your bathtub. This is where bacteria can linger. Treat yourself to a bubble bath for a job well done when finished! Clean an existing bath mat or buy a new one; a bath mat not only prevents slipping but also can dress up the space.
- Clean the grout, floors, and all side of the shower. Be sure to include the showerhead, where calcium deposits and grime can clog up the holes where the water pours out. Helpful tip – try using 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup white vinegar in a plastic bag wrapped around the shower head and let soak for up to an hour to clear built-up deposits.
- Use an all-purpose cleaner and mist your toilet from the top to the bottom. Don’t forget to lift the lid and spray underneath and the toilet base. Use toilet bowl cleaner under the rim. Wipe the exterior, paying particular attention to areas of contact such as the handle and lid. Consider using a toothbrush for hard to reach areas like the hinges. Finally, scrub out the bowl with a toilet brush and get under the rim and deep down into the bowl.
- Replace old shower curtains with new ones. While they might look clean, they could be covered in mold.
- Make sure you hang clean towels and fill or replace soaps and soap dispensers.
- Add and light a scented candle to help remove unwanted smells and help turn your bathroom into a room you (and your guests) want to walk into.
Nothing is more inviting than a clean bed and bedroom when you turn in at night. If you’re getting enough sleep, you should spend 8 hours a night in this private oasis – you should enjoy this time without feeling cluttered or dirty.
- Pull off all of your bedding from sheets, comforters and bed skirts and wash. You may need to consider going to a Laundromat to wash bulkier items if your washing machine isn’t large enough to hold them.
- Once your bedding is stripped, start dusting. Begin at the top with ceiling fans and light fixtures. Consider replacing any burnt-out or dimming bulbs. Work your way to lamps and furniture.
- Reorganize your dressers and night stands. Sometimes, this can lead to extra space you didn’t even know you were missing!
- Clean off your bedframe and vacuum underneath it. If you have items stored underneath the bed, reorganize and relinquish items you no longer need or use.
- Vacuum and spot clean your mattress and box spring. They can collect dust and oils. It may be time to even consider purchasing a new one, one that will provide you with a better, more relaxing sleep.
- Put your pillows in the dryer with a scented dryer sheet to help them smell fresh and clean and get them plumped and cozy. You can even hand wash them if you feel they need it.
- Polish any furniture or surfaces with appropriate cleaners to help them shine.
- Remake your bed with the clean, fresh sheets and blankets. I guarantee you’ll have a great night sleep!
- And finally, reorganize and clean out your closet space to make way for some new clothing and shoes!